Being a sustainable business isn’t just about being green, it’s much bigger than that. At Rezgo, we believe that each one of us has to take responsibility for what happens to our environment and community. As such, we try very hard to make decisions that are good for everyone and not just the company. As part of our commitment to being socially responsible, we have created a Sustainability Policy which outlines some of what we endeavor to do on a daily basis.
Everything Rezgo does has an impact on the planet, on communities, on individuals, and on the local and global economy. As a good corporate citizen, we can provide a vibrant and healthy future for our customers, our business, and generations to come. Our Sustainability Policy provides Rezgo with the direction and the framework to help create a just world and a healthy planet.
What We Believe
We believe a sustainable world reflects these four interdependent principles:
- The planet has a limited carrying capacity and we are all dependent on a healthy, functioning biosphere.
- Individuals can best meet their needs in caring and vibrant communities.
- A just economy is dependent on an equitable society and a healthy planet.
- 80% of businesses World wide are small businesses. These businesses have a direct economic impact on their communities.
We believe that Rezgo has a responsibility to make the world a more sustainable place. We’ve defined our role as:
- Encouraging and supporting our employees and customers to enjoy self-propelled wilderness recreation, lead healthy, active lives and be stewards of the natural environment.
- Improving the social and environmental impacts of our products, services and business operations.
- Providing leadership in the community and working with others to pursue collective social and environmental goals.
- Empowering our employees and customers to be active participants in organizations that promote sustainability, especially as it relates to travel.
- Encouraging our employees to use sustainable transportation methods for commuting to work or allowing for telecommuting to reduce the impact of vehicles on our roads.
What We are Doing
As a software developer, our commercial success is dependent on achieving positive social and economic outcomes for ourselves and our customers. With this in mind, we have developed a sustainability strategy to guide and continually improve our efforts in the areas of business operations, product sustainability, sustainable consumption, and our role in the community. We’ve made commitments in each of the following areas:
Business Operations Sustainability:
- We will demonstrate sustainable business practices and lead by example, in particular with respect to energy, water, and material use.
- We will provide a safe and respectful workplace where our employees are highly valued, treated fairly and encouraged to make a difference.
- We will compensate employees who choose to use public transit instead of driving their cars to work by providing a transit subsidy.
- We will source local providers and endeavor to purchase supplies that require the least amount of transport.
- We will pursue design and product innovations to minimize or eliminate negative impacts and enhance positive impacts of our products.
- We will design our products to promote innovation for small business and encourage the creation of ecologically sensitive tourism products.
- We will hire locally whenever possible and encourage an environment of learning, growth, and personal development through collaboration.
- We will promote conscious consumption by educating our employees and customers to make well-informed decisions and we will provide them with products and services that contribute to a higher quality of life, and a healthier society and environment.
- We will provide our employees and customers with alternatives to the consumption of disposable products.
Rezgo in the Community:
- We will actively participate in organizations that promote local economic development and sustainability.
- We will be an advocate in the community for issues that align with our beliefs and strategic priorities.
- We will nurture meaningful partnerships with non-profit and community-based organizations to protect and enhance the places where we work, live and play.
How We are Doing It
Process and Implementation
The following criteria will guide our business decisions and strategies. Using the precautionary principle, we will focus on issues:
- Which relate to our business, our core purpose, and our employees and customers needs.
- Which have the biggest impact on natural, social, and economic systems.
- Where Rezgo has influence or control over the impact.
- Where solutions are technically and economically viable.
- Where there are opportunities to collaborate with other organizations.
Accountability and Reporting
We will be held accountable for our actions by adhering to the following governing principles:
- We will provide staff and partners with the support and resources to follow through on our commitments.
- We will measure and monitor our progress toward meeting our commitments.
- We will report on our social and environmental performance in publicly available reports.
- We will engage our staff, customers, vendors, and community stakeholders in meaningful dialogue to continually improve our efforts and our relationships.
- Our Board of Directors will review our Sustainability Policy every 3 years.
During our research for a social responsibility and sustainability policy that best met our corporate philosophy and culture we found the sustainability policy from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Since we feel that MEC is a leader in sustainability and ethical retailing, we felt that they would be a good lead to follow. As such, with MEC’s permission, we have derived the Rezgo Sustainability Policy from the MEC Sustainability Policy.
** The Rezgo Sustainability Policy is also inline with “The Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Sustainable Tourism” as released by TIAC (Tourism Industry Association of Canada) on February 8, 2005.